Friday, September 23, 2005

Mono on iPAQ

Mono on iPAQ

I’m far of being a Linux advocate, but I’ve always seen it with interest and sometimes admiringly. Also, I’m very interested on Mono because seem to me to have great potential and may be the never-was-Visual Basic for Linux that explodes its use. As I’m mainly on the .NET/Windows CE and mobility software business I’m also interested on Mono on handhelds.

And today I’ve got my first iPAQ 3630 16MB running Linux Familiar and Mono for ARM, and my first C# app running on it. It’s great. It’s running a Familiar 0.82 bootstrap bare-bones distribution  (I first tried installing it with whole GPE but it left only 800K on the storage space), and the amazing mono for nokia from Paolo Molaro (notes via Miguel de Icaza blog, because Paolo’s link is broken now – yesterday was up :S). Things worked but there’s a strange error that I don’t understand: most of the time, running the app throws a Segmentation Fault, but it’s not always, sometimes it works fine.

Later I’ll post the process to get to this point and may be publish Paolo’s files. Meanwhile, here are some sceenshots.

     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home